3/1/19 – The warmed weather is gone and the cold and snow are back again, but that didn’t stop me from spending a couple days in the shop. I was able to get quite a bit done over the weekend.
My buddy dropped off some of the brackets I had him cut for me so I was able to get started on the scissor jack mounts. A bunch of adjusting got them in the best spot I could find where they were accessible but out of the way. I used four, one in each corner that I can run up and down with my impact and a 3/4″ socket. It wasn’t quite as stable as I had expected, but overall it is about 80% sturdier than the old setup of tires and an old pipe jack. I just need to uninstall them for paint, then reinstall with all new bolts.
I decided to spend some time working on the tongue box. The holes and u-bolts that came with it would work, but I either had to re-drill the holes or make supports in the right spot. I decided to use some 1.5″ square I had sitting around and make some braces for underneath the box. The tongue box is just a cheapy from Harbor Freight, but it’s actually decent quality.
I decided to start cutting some of the holes for the tongue box electrical. I mounted two 12v cigarette lighters and one 2 port USB plug on the side of the box. I will be adding two 110v receptacles with waterproof covers below them.
My buddy had also dropped off a 4×4′ piece of 16 gauge for me, so I decided why not start on the top for the trailer. Nothing super special yet, but I have the frame about 90% done and started skinning the top. Hoping to have the rest of my skin steel next week.
I am still waiting on yet more parts. I have hinges on the way for the top. I am waiting on 4x4x1/4″ plates for the base of the rack on top. I also bought a tubing bender so I can build my own, stronger, tube fenders for the trailer. Stay tuned, should be able to really get moving on this soon!