2/25/19- We had some warm weather over the weekend so I was able to get quite a bit done. I started out cutting the new steel for the new tongue. I got the new 2×3 and 2,5×2,5 welded in, drilled for the new articulating lunette, got the chains welded on, and got it all put in place. I set the tongue box in place as well to try and get an idea how I plan to mount it.
I started working on the tailgate again. I got the hinges attached (bolted to tailgate, welded to the frame. I made some pieces inside the tub that the tailgate can close against. It is actually working pretty well now. I am going to use the factory latches for the tailgate, and a lock on the top. This will keep the tailgate locked and make it easier than building a latch system for the tailgate.
Next I need to cap off the ends of the tub where I cut it. That should clean it up a bit. I will be welding in the 1.5″ square bar that I am using to hold the sides of the bed in place since they keep wanting to bend inwards. When I cut out the tailgate piece, they actually moved in about an inch. Thinking I want to build a rear bumper for the trailer too instead of the hitch that is there.