Parts, Parts, & More Parts
2/20/19 – I am sort of stuck waiting on parts to arrive, so I figured I’d write a post about some of the parts I will be installing. I have been receiving gifts from UPS, Fedex, and UPS almost daily. I am still waiting on the plate steel my buddy over at Longs Metalworks is cutting for me on his CNC. I need to pick up some 2×3 and 2×2 tubing for the new tongue. I received my CJ tailgate hinges. One was pretty seized up, so I have been working on loosening that up. Waiting on brackets to mount the jacks. Pretty much just waiting, period.
I got my tail light buckets in, courtesy of Ebay, so I can being fabbing those into the trailer frame soon. I should have just had my buddy cut them out too, but didn’t wanna be greedy. I got blacked out lights for them that should be pretty cool.
I am still waiting on a few electrical components to be able to start on all the electric stuff, but I did get my tongue box in, which is where they will all be housed. I plan to make a flat board that will drop into it with all the electric stuff attached so I don’t have to drill into the bottom of the box.
I will be using this trailer for off grid camping, as well as some local campgrounds with electric, so I decided to run a converter so the trailer can be plugged in and still run all my 12volt accessories easily. Since I really only have led lights, I didn’t need much power. I settled on 20 amp, 125 watts for the ease of use. I also got a male plug that will be mounted on the side of the tongue box to be able to be plugged in.
I decided to order a cheap set of levels since I am using a 24″ tall scissor jack on each corner to level the trailer and make it sturdy. I will be welding plates under the trailer, then bolting the jacks to the plates. This makes it easy to replace one if I smash one, although I plan to put them up fairly high, and I won’t be rck crawling with my trailer anyways.
Once I get everything done, I will seam seal everything that isn’t welded. I thought about painting it, but since the trailer is older it is somewhat banged up, and being that I am using it for overlanding, will most likely get banged up further. So I decided to do a bed line coating inside and out. It isn’t the best for looking clean, but it holds up well and will hold up to the trails well. I have used Raptor liner a few times in the past and it has worked well for me. It’s easy to spray, dries quick, and I like the finish. It’s about $100 for 4 bottles, hardener and the spray gun. I could probably do it all with one kit, but figured I’d lay a few coats so it is thick enough to handle bumping off a tree and being pelted with rocks from my tires.